Under this category, you may apply if you have worked for at least one year during the last 10 years in one of the recognized occupations (listed by the Canadian Immigration Department as being of benefit to the Canadian labor market).

Points are calculated based on the applicant's number of years of work experience (maximum points achieved with 4 years work experience), education, English and/or French language ability, age, and other personal factors. You must score at least 67 points to be a successful applicant.

If you are immigrating together with your partner/spouse (including same sex partner), some of your partner's qualifications can add to your points to increase your total. If one of you achieves 67 points, you can immigrate to Canada as a couple together.

If you are in a relationship with a Canadian citizen (or permanent resident of Canada), that person can sponsor you to immigrate to Canada. You do not need to achieve a minimum number of points to qualify. Canada recognizes same-sex relationships in this category. Many gay and lesbian people have utilized this category to immigrate to Canada after forming a relationship with a Canadian resident, when they otherwise would not have qualified for immigration. You do not have to be married, or even living together, to qualify. The following relations can sponsor you:

• Partner / spouse (same or opposite sex)
• Children or grandchildren
• Parents

Some conditions also apply to your sponsor to qualify, such as having a minimum ability to support you financially for a time after you move to Canada.

  • Must have previous business experience, or management of a business
  • Must have a minimum net worth of $300,000 (spouse's assets can also be included when calculating net worth)
  • The applicant's present business viability must be demonstrated (subject to minimum qualifications)
  • Once accepted,the applicant must set up a business in Canada. A business plan must be submitted to show viability, which must be approved by the Immigrationd department (can be a small business, but must employ at least one full time Canadian citizen or resident)


  • Must own assets with a net worth of at least $1,600,000 CDN (spouse's interest in assets can be included)
  • Must have ability to invest $800,000 for 5 years (financing is available, so the actual amount of cash outlay may be less)
  • Must demonstrate business experience (minimum 2 -3 years management experience)
  • Attractive category for those who have a business background and the minimum net worth, and would not qualify with points; ideal for those who want to be mobile - travel back and forth between Canada and their native country, or for those with children who want to immigrate to Canada.

You can apply under this category if you have been self- employed in the field of cultural activities or athletics or who have participated at a world class level in these activities, or if you have farm management experience.

You must demonstrate an intention and ability to be self-employed in Canada and contribute to the cultural, artistic or athletic life of Canada, or to purchase and manage a farm in Canada.

Each province in Canada has a special immigration program designed to increase the economic benefits of immigration to the Province.

A successful applicant may have desired work skills, health care experience, business skills, or be engaging in a special project, or even be an international student, which will be of benefit to the Province.

If approved by the Province, an applicant's immigration application will receive a preferred status, with faster processing time. (See Important News)

You may apply to come to Canada as a student, worker, or visitor.

To apply for a student visa, you must be accepted for admission into a Canadian educational institution.

Work permits for a specified time period are available if an employer in Canada is willing to hire you, and the employer provides reason to the Canadian government why a Canadian citizen is not being hired for the position.

You can apply to visit Canada for a specified time period, if you demonstrate that you will return to your home country at the end of the visit and that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your visit.

Work or study experience in Canada can also earn valuable points for you on an application for permanent residence to Canada.

There is currently a labor shortage in Canada, and the rules for admitting foreign workers have been relaxed. This can be an excellent stepping stone towards permanent immigration to Canada! (See Important News)

If you:

  • Work in Canada for at least one year on a valid temporary work permit; or
  • Complete two years of study at a Canadian educational institution and then work for one year in Canada then you can apply to immigrate on a permanent basis to Canada based upon that work or educational experience. Many fields of study and work experience qualify for this program. Your application can be fully processed from within Canada.
  • (See Important News)